Month: August 2012

Hotmail err… outlook.com?

So I’ve been a gmail fan and user for as long as I can remember. I actually remember when gmail was beta, and invite only. But long before gmail I was a hotmail user. Yes it’s true hotmail was truly a great web based mail application. Well, they were great “In my opinion” up until around the time I discovered gmail. Any current Gmail user knows that the feature set and things that Gmail does well, make a lot of people scoff at corporate email and ask why can’t this be more like gmail. Well I’ve had live id’s, and a pluthera of other email accounts in additional to my gmail address. From 3rd party free accounts to self hosted accounts etc… But a couple weeks ago I read that Hotmail was being re-launched (re-invented/modernised?) as outlook.com. Me being a typical early adopter that I am decided I’ve give it a look especially with it have the promise of a new modern, clean interface. (I guess that would fit with Microsoft’s new cleaner interface with some of their other upcoming products, SharePoint 2013, office 2013 etc…) I created a new account, and was slightly disappointed that the login interface uses the live login provider, where I already have 2 or 3 other accounts to confuse it with. But getting past that, the clean interface has kinda grown on me....

Read More

Pesky Javascript Error: ‘style.display’ is null or not an object

I had an issue where a user was trying to modify some webpart settings on an OOB sharepoint teamsite. But everytime the user would mouse over the dropdown on the webpart to display the options to modify, the dropdown would not appear. Even more odd was it would work just fine on the 3 webparts on the page. The error message I was getting was a Error: ‘style.display’ is null or not an object (type) error. My first thought was how did this person add some custom code into this site, and then i remembered you can absolutely do that with a Content Editor Web Part (CEWP). The webpart that was having the problem was not a CEWP, but there was another that happened to be working, but was a CEWP. I checked the source view on the webpart (SharePoint 2007) and sure enough there was a funky DIV tag in the source. <DIV id=WebPartWPQ5 WebPartID=”RandomGUID” HasPers=”false” width=”100%” allowDelete=”false”> a quick search and I found that that div tag with the wpbody and webpartid can cause and issue with javascript in IE, and since the dropdown for that webpart is javascript it fit. So I cleaned out that Div tag, saved my changes and was back in business. I’m pretty sure if the user really needed a Div tag for formatting, I could have removed the WebPartID portions and also would have been...

Read More

Get all Email Enabled Lists in Farm via powershell

I was looking for a way with powershell to find all the lists in my sharepoint 2007 farm that had email enabled document libraries as well as the email address associated with them. Didn’t take long to find a script for this on technet http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/sharepointgeneral/thread/457387e3-05af-425c-9de4-5aa15d673a19 , but that version used the Get-SPWebApplication cmdlet which does not work with SP2007. So I replaced it with the sp2007 equivilent [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication]::Lookup(“http://myspfarm”) That fixed the issue for me. Here’s the full code below. It kicks out the report into a csv file that you can import into your favorite csv editor, and make the report pretty.   #Load SharePoint Asssemblies [System.reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“Microsoft.SharePoint”) [System.Reflection.Assembly]::Load(“Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c”) [System.Reflection.Assembly]::Load(“Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c”) $SPwebapp = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication]::Lookup(“http://myspfarm”) #create a CSV file “E-Mail,List,Site” > “EMail-Enabled.txt” #Write the Headers in to a text file foreach ($SPsite in $SPwebApp.Sites)  # get the collection of site collections { foreach($SPweb in $SPsite.AllWebs)  # get the collection of sub sites { foreach ($SPList list in $SPweb.Lists) { if ( ($splist.CanReceiveEmail) -and ($SPlist.EmailAlias) ) { # WRITE-HOST “E-Mail -” $SPList.EmailAlias “is configured for the list “$SPlist.Title “in “$SPweb.Url $SPList.EmailAlias + “,” + $SPlist.Title +”,” + $SPweb.Url >> EMail-Enabled.txt  #append the data } } } }   thanks http://jshidell.com/ for that pointer​...

Read More

SPSOzarks 2012

Just mentioning that I will be speaking at a session at SharePoint Saturday Ozarks in Branson this year. If you’re free, register today and come out, lots going on! http://www.sharepointsaturday.org/ozarks/default.aspx  ...

Read More